Monday 2 February 2009

Total madness

Joan Andika: I have always thought that camp was just about relaxing, team bonding and going through moves. I got a rude shock when I discovered that camp was actually a way to give our coaches more time to push us to our limits … and beyond. The sessions left me so drained that it was impossible to get a word out of me after training. I must have lost 5kgs during that camp. Nevertheless, I am now fitter and I have learned to talk. I’ll never be able to talk as much or as loudly as Winnie, Rose or Helen but at least my teammates have stopped complaining that they cannot hear my voice.

Rosenburg Kanyunyuzi: the 3 day camp was total madness. The coaches wanted the best from us and we had nowhere to hide. We thought about our pool: our initial shock at being pooled with New Zealand had gone. Yes, our pool was tough but we had to face reality, there is nothing like an easy pool. So we worked really hard. Man, it was tight but it was so good to see the girls putting in everything they could even when it seemed that we had reached breaking point. We were still tired when we trained on Wednesday but the coaches made it an easy session. We had recovered on Friday and it was a fantastic session. We are definitely getting there.

No comments: