Sunday 22 February 2009

David Mutaka


Name: David Mutaka
Nickname: Mutaks
Occupation: Banking
Date of birth: 31 March 1977
Role: Head Coach

How did you get involved in coaching women’s rugby? Last year I got a call from the chairperson UWRA who is a very convincing lady and she also threw in a free trip to South Africa for coaching. In South Africa, I met the South African Trainers Denver Wannies and Norman Mbiko who made coaching look so easy and glamorous. I am learning different :)

Best rugby moment as a coach: Thus far the win against Tunisia in the semis of the world cup qualifiers. Not many people gave us a chance, I think especially after day one results, but my girls did me proud. It still hasn’t quite sunk in although I expected it. More so that some of the girls that started rugby in Uganda have lived to see their dream come to pass - from touch playing freaks to world beaters.

Worst rugby moment as a coach: Watching the girls cry after the loss to Tunisia in the pool stages on day one of the qualifiers.

How do you feel about going for the World Cup? Beyond words, but overall I am proud of my team. I believe we deserve to be there.


What do you think Uganda’s chances at the World Cup are? Nothing outside the top 8.

David Mutaka has represented Uganda in both the 7 aside and 15 aside codes of the game. Mutaks had never wanted to coach as he felt it was a time consuming/brain sapping role and that you age very fast on the sideline. However, since taking up the Lady Cranes 7’s coaching mantle, he believes that his decision to go against his better judgement has paid off 100 fold and he now enjoys coaching. That however has not stopped him of dreaming of returning to active rugby playing and going to the world cup as a player.

No comments: