Monday 16 February 2009

Fortunate Irankunda


Name: Fortunate Irankunda
Occupation: Student
Date of birth: ­­­ 20/05/1983
Home district: Kisoro
Club: Black Panthers
Height: 5’2
Weight: 84kgs
Position(s) in 7’s: Prop
Rugby experience: 5 years
7’s Debut: WRWC 7's qualifiers '08
Number of 7’s tournaments: 2
15’s debut: versus Rwanda Feb '05
Number of 15’s caps: 3
How did you first get into rugby? I first watched men playing and I immediately liked the game. When I saw women playing I decided that I wanted to play too. A friend introduced me to Helen and i joined her.

Favourite local rugby players(s): Helen Buteme (Black Panthers & Uganda), Allan Musoke (UTL Kobs & Uganda), Moses Soita (G4S Pirates & Uganda), Anthony Kinene (G4S Pirates & Uganda), Robert Sseguya (MTN Heathens & Uganda)

Favourite international rugby player(s): Bryan Haban

Rugby awards won: Runner up WRWC qualifiers, Runner up 2008 Nelson Mandela Bay 7’s

Best rugby moment: When I broke through down the wing against South Africa in the WRWC qualifiers final & qualifying for the World Cup.

Worst rugby moment: When playing against Rwanda I was held back 2 metres from the try line. I remained suspended in the air and try as I might I could not score.

How does it feel knowing that Lady Cranes are going for the World Cup? I feel great because we are the first ever sport from Uganda to be in the World Cup. I really trust my team mates and have no doubt that we shall perform well.

What do you as an individual hope to do at the World Cup that will help Lady Cranes perform well? I am not on the 12 so I will pray for victory for the team and support them in every way I can. If I do travel I play just like a lion hunting for food on an empty stomach.

What do you think Uganda’s chances at the World Cup are? At the least the plate finals although I believe we can be in the top 8.

Fortunate Irankunda occasionally plays football, volleyball, handball and cricket. She also coaches the disabled in Seatball (a modified version of volleyball for the disabled). She is a social individual and loves kids.

No comments: