Monday 16 February 2009

Prossy Pearce Nakakande


Name: Prossy Pearce Nakakande
Occupation: Plant engineer
Date of birth: ­­­ 05/03/1984
Home district: Wakiso
Club: Black Panthers
Height: 5’3
Weight: 57.5kgs
Position(s) in 7’s: Hooker, scrumhalf
Rugby experience: 3 years
7’s Debut: WRWC 7's qualifiers '08
Number of 7’s tournaments: 2
15’s debut: versus Kenya May '08
Number of 15’s caps: 2
How did you first get into rugby? I was the General Secretary of Kyambogo University Games Union and responsible for the welfare of sports players so I got to know the University’s rugby players. They pulled me from football and basketball and introduced me to Helen Buteme.

Favourite local rugby players(s): Edmond Tumusiime (UTL Kobs & Uganda), Helen Buteme (Black Panthers & Uganda)

Favourite international rugby player(s): Serevi

Rugby awards won: 2008 Black Panthers 7s MVP, Runners up WRWC qualifiers, Runners up 2008 Nelson Mandela Bay 7s

Best rugby moment: Winning the 2008 7’s league much to everyone’s disbelief and qualifying for the World Cup.

Worst rugby moment: When I collided with a new player during club training and one of my teeth penetrated the upper lip. It was very painful.

How does it feel knowing that you are going for the World Cup? It’s a great honour. There are many who would like to be in my place but they are not. I feel so ready to take on the world. I look at my team mates working out and I think ‘Yah, let’s do it.’

What do you as an individual hope to do at the World Cup that will help Lady Cranes perform well? I will do what I do best i.e. defending that try line so that scoring against the Lady Cranes becomes next to impossible. I also hope to score some points for Lady Cranes.

What do you think Uganda’s chances at the World Cup are? We are good and ready and I think we are bound to shock and impress.


Prossy Nakakande played baseball throughout high school up until university before she switched to rugby. She loves athletics and Michael Johnson was her inspiration. When the world seems to moving too fast or when she is confused to turns to her parents and siblings for help. When she is really pissed off she eats chips with very hot chilli to calm her down (how does that work!?) Prossy loves watching movies and dancing in her spare time.

No comments: