Monday 16 February 2009

Aalliya Irene Adania


Name: Aalliya Irene Adania
Nickname: Schwarzenegger
Occupation: Student
Date of birth: 22/04/1985
Home district: Arua
Club: Rangers
Height: 5’4
Weight: 73.5kgs
Position(s) in 7’s: Prop, hooker
Rugby experience: 2 years
7’s Debut: WRWC 7's qualifiers '08
Number of 7’s tournaments: 2
15’s debut: versus Kenya Aug '08
Number of 15’s caps: 1
How did you first get into rugby? When girls rugby was introduced at my school my sports teacher recommended that I try it out.

Favourite local rugby players(s): Robert Sseguya, Bishop Onen (both MTN Heathens & Uganda).

Favourite international rugby player(s): All the New Zealand rugby players.

Rugby awards won: 2007 School girl 7s MVP, 2007 Uganda Rugby Union (URU) women’s Best upcoming player, Runner up WRWC qualifiers, Runner up 2008 Nelson Mandela Bay 7’s

Best rugby moment: When we qualified for the World Cup.

Worst rugby moment: When I was dropped from the 15 aside team for the first leg of the Elgon Cup.

How does it feel knowing that you are going for the World Cup? It’s a dream come true. I feel like a heroine and my self esteem has risen. But I’m tired of waiting: I want the ‘D’ day to come so that we can unleash to the world our great talent.

What do you as an individual hope to do at the World Cup that will help Lady Cranes perform well? To make my tackles count such that whoever I tackle has a story to tell her children. To make good runs and big hits.

What do you think Uganda’s chances at the World Cup are? We have put in a lot and have improved a lot so I believe we can aim for lifting that trophy.

Other interests/talents: I also play netball and basketball.

Aalliya is a veritable chatterbox with a permanent smile on her face. Her inability to see brick walls in front of her has earned her the nickname Schwarzenegger from her team mates. Aalliya wants the world to know that she is a focused, determined, brave and no nonsense person who gets whatever she wants at whatever cost. She is a charming lady who enjoys travelling, acting and dancing.

No comments: