Monday 16 February 2009

Joan Andika Mukoya


Name: Joan Andika Mukoya
Nickname: Boda boda
Occupation: Self-employed
Date of birth: ­­­ 30/10/1984
Home district: Mbale
Club: Rangers
Height: 5’0
Weight: 53.5kgs
Position(s) in 7’s: Scrumhalf, centre, winger
Rugby experience: 6 years
7’s Debut: Kampala CAR 7's '06
Number of 7’s tournaments: 3
15’s debut: versus Rwanda Feb '05
Number of 15’s caps: 4
How did you first get into rugby? My sister started playing rugby and told me about it so I joined rugby just to have fun. I did not think I would take it up seriously but I got addicted to the game and I love it.

Favourite local rugby players(s): Edmond Tumusiime (UTL Kobs & Uganda), Robert Sseguya (MTN Heathens)

Rugby awards won: Runner up 2006 & 2007 Confederation of African Rugby (CAR) 7s, Runner up 2007 Tunis 7s

Best rugby moment: When I made tries for my team and we won against Thunderbirds for the first time

Worst rugby moment: When we lost to South Africa in the 2006 CAR 7s

What do you as an individual hope to do at the World Cup that will help Lady Cranes perform well? To support my team mates

What do you think Uganda’s chances at the World Cup are? I believe in all the players who are on that team so feel we stand as good a chance as any other team to win

Joan Andika has represented Uganda in both field hockey and cricket. She enjoys listening to music and having fun in church. Joan earned the nickname Boda Boda due to her ability to weave through opponents in a manner similar to the way boda bodas (motor bikes that ferry passengers) weave through traffic to get to their destinations. Joan missed the qualifiers last year after an injury that left one side of her body paralysed for a couple of days but has worked her way back onto the team and although she did not make the final 12 she is a non-travelling reserve.

No comments: