Tuesday 27 January 2009

Joan Andika aka boda boda


Training

The training we are going through is always hard and really tight. The moment I think too much about it I either lose concentration and ‘sleep’ or I freak out. Whenever I’m kitting up for training I’m wondering what the coaches have in store for us and when I get onto the pitch and see the crowd that have come to watch us train I think, ‘oh my God, we are dead. All these people to witness me messing up and getting told off by the coach.’ I get butterflies and it takes a while for me to settle down. All the same, I really love the training session especially as I feel that I keep stepping up every session and the coaches have also noticed it and have told me so. So despite the nerves and tension I’m actually enjoying myself and I look forward to each training session.

The draws

When I received the text message about the draws I could not believe that we were put in the same pool with South Africa – we are both from Africa so I had assumed we would be in different pools. Then Italy and New Zealand! I felt weak and got a stomach ache. Worse still we had training that evening. We talked about it as a team and I felt much better. Each day the confidence I had lost has rebuilt and I can see my team mates are strong once again. After all they are women just like us (bigger but still human) and we can take then on. Nothing is impossible and small nation that we are we can still strive to win that World Cup!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't be afraid!
You write:"After all they are women just like us (bigger but still human) and we can take then on." Last year New Zealand Maori (with quite a few Black Ferns in the team) played in the Amsterdam 7s: they are not big, just awfully skillfull - it will be a though team to beat.
South Africa you probably know better than i do.
But I saw Italy in the European qualifing tournament and the Italian girls are quite small in size and not that speedy and they play a bit nervous. I am sure they will be training hard aswell, but when i read your blog i am sure you stand a very good chance to beat them! I'll be supporting you (and my national team The Netherlands) in Dubai.

ladycranesevens said...

Hey Tessa,

thanks a lot. we have never seen italy or new zealand play so your info gives us a bit of an idea of what to expect. and thank you for 'adopting' us as your second country to support. we will not let you down.

cheers,

helen